Another popular poker game is called Omaha Hi. It is not as popular as Texas Hold’em, but is still played by many poker players around the world. Just like most poker games it can be played by a minimum of two players and a maximum of ten. There are four rounds of betting during the game. Players are given four cards that are hidden from other players at the start. Five cards are placed in the middle of the table in view of everyone. Players use the four cards they were given to try to get the highest hand they can using the five cards from the middle. They can use two of their cards and three of the five in the middle to create their highest hand.
Omaha Hi/Lo is a similar version of the game, except that players try to create the highest hand possible and/or the lowest hand they can, again using two of their own cards and three from the middle of the table.
Omaha is almost identical as Texas Hold’em. However there are two differences between the games:
- Unlike in Texas Hold’em where players are given two cards at the start, in Omaha players are given four cards.
- Players have to use two of their own cards and three from the middle of the table to create their hand.
Here is a more in detail look at the game known as Omaha.
- Bets are placed at the beginning of the game just like in Texas Hold’em, known as Ante’s.
- Players are given four cards to keep; only you can see what cards you have at this point.
- First round of betting takes place after the four cards have being handed out to each player. At this point players can call, raise or fold their hand.
- Three cards are placed in the middle of the table after the first round of betting and the second round of the betting takes place.
- After the second round of betting has finished, also known as the ‘Flop’, a fourth card is dealt to the middle of the table. The third round begins, known as the ‘Turn’.
- The last card is placed into the middle after the third round has finished. The ‘River’ begins, which is the last round of betting.
- Players begin to show their hands after the last round of betting, with the player(s) who have the highest hand being declared the winner(s). The highest hand player wins the pot and the game continues into the next round.